'Cheers' Alum, Kirstie Alley Passes On


Reel Illustrated is sorry to announce the news of veteran American actress, Kirstie Alley. A cast member of the  classic NBC sitcom, 'Cheers', Alley passed away yesterday after a short battle with cancer. She was 71 years old.

Alley is remembered for her role as Rebecca Howe in 'Cheers' (which earned her an Emmy), Veronica Chase in 'Veronica's Closet', the embittered Rose Marie Clericuzio in 'The Last Don' and its sequel, Ann Putam in 'The Salem Witch Trials',  Saavik in 'Star Trek: The the Wrath of  Khan', Mollie in the  'Look Who's Talking' trilogy, and in the telefilm, 'David's Mother,' which earned her another Emmy. 

Her past co-stars have expressed their sorrow. 

From John Travolta, who played her husband in the 'Look Who's Talking' films,  "Kirstie was one of the most special relationships I've ever had. love you Kirstie. I know we will see each other again."

From fellow 'Cheers' alum, Ted Danson, who played the titular bar's owner Sam Malone, " Her ability to play a woman on the verge of a nervous breakdown was both moving and hysterically funny. She made me laugh 30 years ago when she shot that scene, and she made me laugh today just as hard. As I got off the plane, I heard that Kirstie had died. I am so sad and so grateful for all the times she made me laugh. I send my love to her children. As they well know, their mother had a heart of gold. I will miss her.”

From other 'Cheers' cast members:

Kelsey Grammer (Fraiser Crane): “I always believed grief for a public figure is a private matter, but I will say I loved her.”

Rhea Perlman (Carla Tortelli): "I’ve never met anyone remotely like her.  I feel so thankful to have known her.  I’m going to miss her very, very much."

 Alley is survived by two ex husbands, grandchildren and her two children, Lillie and True Parker who said, "As iconic as she was on screen, she was an even more amazing mother and grandmother." 

May she rest in peace. 

Comments

Popular Posts