Rema Wins MTV VMA



Reel Illustrated heartily congratulates Nigerian singer and rapper Rema (Divine Ikubor) on his win at the 2023 edition of the MTV Video Music Awards, hosted by Niki Minaj. 

The remix of Rema's "Calm Down", with Selena Gomez, won Best Afro Beats, beating Burna Boy, Arya Starr, Wiz Kid, Libiaca and  Fireball DML. "Calm Down" is a track from Rema's debut studio album, "Rave & Roses". He's the second African to win this category since Wizkid in 2021. 

A jubilant Rema said, 

"This means so much seeing Afrobeats grow this big and me representing Afrobeats tonight,"

"I am so happy… shoutout to the people who opened the doors for me. Big shoutout to Fela who started Afrobeats in the first place. 2Baba, Don Jazzy, D’Banj, D Prince, Runtown, Timaya, Wizkid, Burna Boy, Davido. And I want to give a huge shoutout to the new generation of Afrobeats. We are here to take it to the rest of the world."

His equally jubilant collaborator Selena Gomez added:"Thank you so much for believing in me, choosing me to be part of an incredible song that broke records.I thank all of you for listening and streaming. I’m sending all my love to Nigeria, thank you.”

Comments

Popular Posts